Better watch out—there’s lots of fun to be had during the holidays, but also quite a few hazards for your pet. Here are a few safety tips to keep your pet jolly this season.
- Keep chocolate and all sweets out of reach. The darker the chocolate, the more poisonous it is to your pets. Xylitol, an artificial sweetener often found in candy and chewing gum, has been linked to liver failure and death in dogs.
- Curb the table scraps. Gravy and any fatty meats like turkey skin and ham should be kept away from pets. They can be hard for animals to digest and even cause pancreatitis.
- Christmas tree cautions. For many cats, the holiday tree is an endless source of fun…and danger. If you have felines in the house, consider tying your tree to a stationary object with fishing line to keep it from tipping. Water additives can be hazardous to your pets, so don’t add aspirin, sugar, or anything else to the water reservoir of your tree stand. Tinsel and other decorations can be tempting for your pets to eat, so putting them above your pet’s head height is advisable.
- Mistletoe and other poisons. Nice for getting a kiss, mistletoe is nevertheless dangerous for pets. Amaryllis, balsam, pine, cedar, and holly are also on that list. Poinsettias, while not as poisonous as some plants, are still troublesome for animals if ingested.
Finally, make sure you have the location and phone number of your personal vet and the nearest 24/7 emergency veterinary clinic. Also handy: The ASPCA Poison Control Line: 1-888-426-4435 (a fee may apply). They also maintain a current list of substances that are hazardous to pets.
Have more questions about preparing your pet for the holidays? Call us at 602-705-0534.